Personal Support and Social Work Service RAF
If you’re in the RAF, as a single serving person or a family, SSAFA Social Workers and Personal and Family Support Workers are there to help when times get tough.
If you need support, you can reach us by phone: 03000 111 723 and email: psswsRAF@ssafa.org.uk.
Sign up for our email newsletter to get our latest news in your inbox
Working alongside the RAF, but outside the Chain of Command, SSAFA staff are there to help with concerns for you and your family, whether you are a Regular or Reserve.
We know that military staff and families face some unique challenges such as regular deployments, having to live apart and frequent moves. Our team provides comprehensive and confidential support, with a special focus on services for adults, but including children, young people and their families.
RAF Social work
We work hard to make sure that our support for RAF personnel, as well as Army and Navy personnel based on RAF units, and their families meets their diverse and changing needs. We deal with a range of issues in a confidential, professional way including:
- Family, relationships and personal difficulties
- Stress, anxiety and depression
- Debt, financial problems and benefit advice
- Applications to the RAF Benevolent Fund and other charitable organizations
- Illness, disability and additional needs
- Housing, resettlement and medical discharges
- Bereavement, loss and grief
- Equal opportunities, discrimination and harassment
- Support groups and referral to other agencies
- Childcare issues
- Adoption and fostering
- Financial issues
- Deployments (pre- and post).
Working with local partners
SSAFA social work teams also take part in local forums, such as Safeguarding Children's Boards and domestic abuse forums to bring the perspective of military personnel to these complex issues. Our teams will also take on work on behalf of local authorities in some situations.
Our UK social work teams work closely with colleagues from a range of services provided by SSAFA including volunteers, our Adoption Service and our family Support Groups in order to ensure that individuals and/or families can access any additional support they need.